Skip to main content

Accommodation via Airbnb in Japan

When I started airbnb a few years ago, I'd never thought I'd be completely smitten by it. During my last trip to Sri Lanka, I fell in love with the idea of staying in the suburbs with a local Sri Lankan. Despite having to brave through the suburbs, finding solace in the homes of the locals' is eventually the ultimate prize. 

Also, in such a short period of time to know the city, the idea really kills a few birds with one stone. 

We did the same in Japan.

I'll share with you here on the places that we stayed using Airbnb. In average, each of us spend about MYR 85 - 100 in one night and that's in a twin setting. I Googled to see some of the average rates for accommodation / hostels in Tokyo, and it would cost from MYR 150 onwards per person. After thinking sometime about it, we figured it's best we use some of our money to stay in a real Japanese house with a local Japanese as the host.


Tokyo

Our first stay in Japan was in Tokyo with the lovely young family of Ume, Meg and Haruka. I chose their home because it was the more affordable ones around, and because of the excellent reviews. Ume and Meg's house is for the young. It's not really far from the train station, but neither it is across the street. It's about an 8 - 10 minutes walk with quaint shops around.

I am especially delighted looking at the beautiful flower shops around :))) I get so distracted by them every morning!


Minus the super location, the young family is such a beautiful family. I wanted to chat with Meg all day long, but I coudn't. I was so enchanted by her life as a young mum and how she'd have to go back to work after a year plus of maternity leave.

Sometimes, when I'm not looking she snaps a photo of baby Haruka.



MUST BE LOVE. THIS PLACE IS LOVE.

The room itself fits us just nicely. It is laid out by the traditional tatami mats with warm futons. Sleeping in a Japanese home has got to be one of my bucket list I never knew.

They had heater which saved us during winter, and the most effective mini bathroom ever! If there is one thing that I truly learn from the Japanese, it's SPACE! They're masterclass at it, and Ume & Meg's beautiful home is no exception.



Airbnb Listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4266616 


Kyoto

If there truly was a favourite between all the three place that we stayed in Japan, Rumi's house in Kyoto might be just it.

Cool and suave. Those were my first impression of our next Japanese host, the young and cool Rumi.

There is a greater good and reason to Rumi's built guesthouse. From the wise words of the self-proclaimed grandma Rumi, "this place is for the community around this area to meet and talk. We do not seem to talk anymore, we're so busy".




With a story like that, there is almost no reason to add any salt and pepper to.


A traditional 50 year old Japanese home, Rumi's place is almost like a central point for all the airbnb travelers around Japanese find peace in. Located just 5 minutes away from the less complicated train station between the two cities, also, with flower shops around to distract me with, her home is comfort after a long day out..

Rumi too is an excellent host.

She bought delicious fine sakes on our first night and connected us with a bunch of Italians who are here the first time as well. Like every other travels, we had good laughs and loves.



Cozy is an understatement, this was home.

Airbnb Listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4010785 


Osaka

Osaka welcomed us in a good note. We reached Osaka pretty late, around 8pm, and getting lost in suburbs at that time was the last thing we wanted to do. BUT - her instructions were clear and easy.

The heroes of the city were the few people that walked up to us and asked us if they could help us. We were so hesitant at first, but were desperate enough to trust people. We found her (Noco) place in less than 5 minutes.

Noco's home seemed more systematic, and had a lot more guests. The doors were well equipped with some fancy security and even before entering our own room door we had to unlock with our passcodes.

Between these three cities, Osaka felt more -- human. There was a good balance between perfection and loose ends.

Noco's home which is rightfully called Yocola Islands has small walkways, small stairs and small tables but HUGE rooms. The room felt like an entire apartment! It had it's washing area, toilet, another bed before the other room.



We love the tatami mats and futons so much that we were slowly getting accustomed by it by the final city. I loved it so much now I'm missing them!! 

Airbnb Listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/372773


WE LOVED OUR HOMES IN JAPAN.

They make up everything one another does not have. They're traditionally Japanese and their hosts are ... just amazing. I hope this helps you in your planning, and if you need any suggestions or help, feel free to ask me! :)

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.